In this day and age, where we are becoming more and more reliant on technology, the potential for you or me to be threatened by cybercrime, internet fraud, and hackers has increased dramatically. When it comes to bank accounts, investment accounts, e-mail, and other sensitive information of ours that lives on the internet, it is important to take certain measures to make sure that everything is secure and protected.
Methods used to compromise a victim’s identity or login credentials, such as malware, phishing, and social engineering, are increasingly sophisticated and difficult to spot. A fraudster’s goal is to obtain information to access your account and assets or sell your information for this purpose. Fortunately, criminals often take the path of least resistance. Following best practices and applying caution when sharing information or executing transactions makes a big difference.
Communicating With Our Firm
If you are a client with Integra Capital Advisors, it is important that safe practices of communication are established between you and our firm. Whenever there are changes to your personal information, we always want you, the client, to keep us informed and updated. This is important so that your contact information is always up to date in the case that we need to contact you to verify transactions. Another safe practice that we require, for any e-mail request to move money, trade, etc., we will always call you to verify such a request. Finally, another safe practice is to establish a verbal password with our firm to confirm your identity when speaking over the phone. This is something that, in the case of an identification breach, would be much harder for a cybercriminal to know. The extra layers of safety measures go a long way for keeping your information secure, safe, and protected.
There are many different things that you can do as a consumer to protect your identity, information, and accounts. We discuss some below and would hope that you take them into consideration today!
- For most (if not all) log-in accounts, set up two-factor authentication. This creates an additional layer of security on top of your password. In most cases, you can set it up to send you a text message to verify you are logging in. This is a great way to add a layer of protection to all of your accounts, from banking to e-mail and beyond.
- Be aware of suspicious phone calls, emails, and texts asking you to send money or disclose personal information. If a service rep calls you, hang up and call back using a known phone number.
- Never share sensitive information or conduct business via email, as accounts are often compromised.
- Beware of phishing and malicious links. Urgent-sounding, legitimate-looking emails are intended to tempt you to accidentally disclose personal information or install malware.
- Don’t use personal information as part of your login ID or password, and don’t share login credentials.
- Create a unique, complex password for each website, and change it every six months. Consider using a password manager to simplify this process.
- Don’t use public computers or free Wi-Fi. Use a personal Wi-Fi hotspot or a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Take Action Today
While the above list is not exhaustive, we believe that they are all great first steps to take if you have not considered them. For our current clients, future clients, and all consumers out there, we know how hard you are all working to build up your wealth and provide for your family. In the real world, we would all do everything that we could possibly do to protect our family, belongings, and wealth. The same should be true for how we go about our cybersecurity measures. If you have questions and would like to learn more, please call us today at 941-778-1900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Integra Capital Advisors
For over 26 years, Integra Capital Advisors has helped active, professional women and their spouses plan their finances to live the lifestyle they desire. Having a sound wealth accumulation and retirement income plan gives you the best chance of taking that dream vacation, supporting your favorite cause, enjoying your vacation home, or sending the grandkids to college. Having financial resources gives you flexibility and choices. Having confidence that your advisor is placing your interests first is a big deal, which is why Integra Capital Advisors focuses intently on your goals in our role as fee-only advisors.
We invite you to call us today to learn more about how we can help you!